Monday, March 6, 2017

March Gladness Challenge

Right now at my school, students and staff are participating in a "March Gladness Challenge." It is focused on maintaining a positive school climate and belief that attitude is often a choice and we can share happiness with others to make the school/world a better place. It seems like this time of year I usually get a little down and need to remind myself of energy boosting activities and happy moments, so I decided to continue this on my blog this week. These are some things I did in the past week that made me feel truly happy.

1. A few days last week, I turned music up really loud in my house. I danced and jogged and sang strutted around the house for a few hours. This is by far my favorite way to get 10,000 steps. Even after a long day at work, it makes me feel really happy for a while. Also, I have found that my house is way cleaner because when I walk by a piece of trash a few times, I usually pick it up. When my sister was here last weekend, she did the jam session with me and that was great too.

2. I am always happy when reading a book. I love when I find one I can't put down. Most recently, that was A Discovery of Witches, which was a fairly long book that I couldn't wait to pick up on every free moment.

3. I opened the windows and laid in the sun on my bed. Just listening to the wind and soaking up that heat (especially in March) made me supremely happy.

4. My after school group had no homework at all last Friday, so I was trying to entertain them last week. Somehow, we got on the topic of fish, so I told them a story about my suicidal Beta fish that would jump out of his bowl. The kids laughed and laughed and laughed. Then, I played North America, a documentary, for them and they were very engaged, watching all the animals and asking all kinds of questions. That was a super fun day.

5. I made brownies. The actual process of baking anything, even as simple as brownie mix, is usually happiness for me.

6. I took time picking out an outfit and doing my hair and makeup last Tuesday. I don't do this nearly enough because I always say "I shouldn't have to dress up every day." or "I just want to be comfortable." It's so weird how much better my day goes when I feel like I look good.

I also think it is a happiness boost when you have something to look forward to. I am looking forward to spring break in Arizona. I'd like to hike somewhere and lay by the pool. And of course see my parents. I talk to them on the phone quite often, but there's nothing like a hug in person (and kisses from my dogs). I'm also looking forward to a Billy Joel concert in a few weeks with a coworker. And I might get tickets to Tim McGraw and Faith Hill in May. And I'm planning on seeing Jim Gaffigan in July. I also plan to take a trip somewhere this summer--maybe Chicago or Denver or Minneapolis or Las Vegas. And I'm even looking forward to work-related things like book club activities next quarter and new activity ideas I have for next year. This forward-thinking makes me happier than when I am stuck thinking about the meeting I have on Wednesday or the homework I need to grade tonight.

So smile everyone. And think about things that make you happy or could make you happy soon. It's a wonderful day to start anew. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment