Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Books That Shaped Me

***First off, I just want to thank anybody that is reading this. After last week's post, I had not only several Facebook comments, also a few texts and people that came up to me in person to either share their similar experiences with dating or give advice. This was amazing because not only were people reading my blog (which I never expect, but always love to hear), but these people also cared enough to reach out to me. I am so grateful for all of you amazing people.***

Now, on to my next topic. I was lucky enough to have awesome parents that took me to a book festival over spring break in Tucson. I got to hear several authors speak and even got an autograph from one author that really inspires me. It was such a cool event. One question on a panel that I heard was "What books inspired you as a child?" The author's had a variety of answers, but it got me thinking about what books really shaped me into the reader and writer and person I am today.

It was really difficult to narrow them down. My Goodreads account says I've read 523 books to date and that doesn't include picture books. I have revised this list several times in the last few days, but I really think the ones I included were the most meaningful in my life up to now.

1. The Trumpet of the Swan. I had a set of E.B. White books that my mom read to me when I was very young. I remember loving all of them, but for some reason The Trumpet of the Swan stands out the most. I can't even remember how old I was when my mom read it to me, so I'm not sure why it was so impactful, but I really believe this was the first book I really loved.

2. Bridge to Terabithia. I read this book 3 times in 4th grade. If I remember right, it was an assigned book for 6th graders, but my 4th grade teacher, Mr. Johnson, moved from 6th to 4th grade that year and brought the book with him. I could tell he really loved the book and I fell in love with it too. I wanted to badly to be like Leslie and escape into my own world of imagination. I cried even on the third reading. This was also during a time when I started really beinig interested in writing and I modeled my writing after Katherine Paterson.

3. Harry Potter. This isn't just one book, but there is no question in my mind that I would be a different person if I didn't have Harry Potter in my life. Harry Potter taught my generation many lessons about growing up and bravery and relationships. My mom also read most of these books to us, even as we got older and didn't have books read to us anymore. I have very fond memories of Josh and I sprawled out on my parents' bed as my mom read to us and we begged her for one more chapter.

4. The Giver. I would say that dystopian fiction is my favorite book genre and that has a lot to do with this book. I read it in 6th grade I believe and was utterly captivated by it. I remember I started asking a lot of "what if" questions at that time. It made me think about the world in a broader sense, just at the right time as I was maturing and able to think more critically.

5. The Truth About Forever. Sarah Dessen books basically define my high school self. She captures teenage girl emotions like a pro. This was my first book of hers and still the most memorable. Although truly just a typical teen romance book, at the time it felt like the first "grown-up" book I had read. I fell in love with my first (and definitely not last) fictional character.

6. Looking for Alaska. As I write this last one, I realize that none of my books are very happy ones. I believe every single one deals with death in some way. I wonder what that says about me. I think maybe the books that made me cry or feel a powerful emotion like that implanted themselves in my memory more permanently. This John Green book was no exception. I actually remember where I was when I read this book. I was a junior in high school and I was visiting my grandpa in Arizona. I bought the book for the plane ride, but couldn't get it out of my head when I landed. I ended up lying my the pool reading this book for hours on that trip. I still find myself imitating Green's writing style whenever I write fiction because his humor and raw emotion is so easy to connect with.

No comments:

Post a Comment