Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The People You Meet in College

I never felt like I fit in with my town. Or my high school. And all of my life those closest to me (family, teachers, etc.) told me college would be different. I always imagined I would meet all kinds of people just like me. They would like the same things and have the same beliefs and we would become great friends. But that didn't happen. And it couldn't have turned out better.

When I first arrived at college, I didn't make friends at all. My roommate wouldn't have anything to do with me and the kids on my floor were cliquey just as had been the case my whole life. I actually became very depressed. My sophomore year I was fortunate to meet some amazing friends. But I'm telling you, they aren't "just like me" at all. We have completely different majors, hobbies, upbringings, and even beliefs. But it doesn't matter. In fact, it makes our friendship more interesting. It expands my horizons and makes me a better person.

This past year I have expanded my group of friends. After thought, I realize I have invited guests into my apartment that are both Democrats and Republicans, of at least four different races, from big cities and from towns smaller than mine, of widely varied religions, and of another sexual orientation. I also realize that these stupid demographics make absolutely no difference in the character of my friends.

So college is a much better fit for me. It isn't because I met people that were more like me. In fact, some of them could not be more different. But as the saying goes, "opposites attract." I was never lacking people similar to me. What I was lacking was tolerance for diversity. What I have gained is a greater capacity to accept and love others. And I believe what you give is what you get returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment