Monday, May 27, 2013

The Value of Friendship

I've always had a hard time making friends. I think from the time I was born. I have anxiety in social situations and often like to be left alone. But recently, I have been fortunate to surround myself with so many great people. My friend Ashley asked me to be maid of honor in her wedding. We've known each other since elementary school and she's always stuck by me even when no one else has, so I'm honored to be there for her for this exciting time in her life. I spent the weekend in Lincoln with my friends Hillary and Bryant and Devin and had such an amazing time and even made new friends. On the reverse side, I've known these people for much less time and I still feel completely comfortable with them.

The really cool thing about all of my friends (and there are others that I haven't listed) is that they don't see me as introverted or awkward (even though Ashley wishes I would flirt more with boys). When I'm with them, that part of me dissipates. I become confident and I smile and laugh a lot more (even though I hate my laugh). I know I can ask them advice or tell them my accomplishments and I will never be judged. I also trust them with their own honesty which I have found is very important in relationships of any kind.

I know this isn't a profound or creative blog post since everyone talks about the value of friendship but if there's one thing I know, everyone needs recognition sometimes and I wanted to recognize how wonderful my friends are. Thanks for everything guys!

And I'll leave you with another beautiful quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

"The only way to have friends is to be one"

No comments:

Post a Comment