Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Top Animated Movies

Thought I'd do a more fun post this week. I watched Monsters University last week, and I unfortunately wasn't very impressed. This discontentment got me to wondering if it was my age, or if something was missing. There are so many animated movies that I absolutely love, so I decided to make a list of my top 10 favorites and reflecting on my favorite aspects of these movies. Keep in mind, I have not seen many movies that might make the list. I also believe that movie experiences are very dependent on your mood when watching and the people you watch with. Some of these I haven't watched in years, which gives a slightly distorted impression too.

10. Toy Story
I know, I know, this is #1 for so many people, but it's a tad overrated to me. Still top 10 though. And I think it a movie that was big part of my childhood. I still remember how convinced I was the my toys came to life at night while I slept or when I went to school. I think it is the best of the three as the original too.

9. Beauty and the Beast
This was one of my favorites as a child for sure. I love Belle because she's a bookworm like me and I admired the way she looked past appearances. A good message for children. It also had a wonderful music-something I miss in many newer movies. 

8. The Lion King
I actually watched this movie just recently. And I cried. As a 21 year old that has seen the movie more times than I can count. I was still heartbroken to see Simba calling out to his dead father. Heart-wrenching. Which speaks to the connection with the characters. This also has a great soundtrack. The song that starts the movie excites me every time I hear it.

7. A Bug's Life
This is a movie my siblings and I loved when we were young. I think it's very easy to sympathize with Flick as a misfit and the audience wants him to succeed so bad. Also, I rewatched this movie recently and for a movie that was released 15 years ago, the animation itself is amazing. It was way way ahead of its time. It also has a wonderful villain. I remember how scary Hopper was and my brother used to act out his character as the classic "bad guy" in our games.

6. Mulan
Seriously the best Disney female ever. She is in charge of her own destiny and I love that. But she's not perfect in order to be the hero like "Prince Charming." She actually makes lots of mistakes and has to work very hard. Yet another movie with great music too. I still remember many of the songs by heart. And Mushu was hilarious. 
 
5. How to Train Your Dragon
 This movie was very unexpected. I only went to it for something to do one night and found it to be one of the most entertaining movies of the year, animated or not. It is obviously much more recent than any of the rest of my list so I wasn't a child when I saw it. Toothless was one of the move lovable animated characters ever and Jay Baruchel as the voice of Hiccup added so much to this movie. It's a story about love despite prejudices and I definitely loved it.

4. Monsters Inc.
This is a brilliantly written movie. Such a great idea to transform monsters into characters the audience can love and relate to. The entire "scaring" concept is wonderful, the voices are great, and Pixar does animation so well again. I also think this is movie for any age and adults can enjoy it with kids. And how cute was Boo? Awww...

3. The Emperor's New Groove
 I know this is probably an unexpected choice. But this movie makes me laugh out loud every time I watch it. And there's nothing better to me than a movie that makes me laugh. And I quote it all the time. It is in my opinion the most underrated Disney movie of all time and anyone who hasn't seen it is missing out.

2. The Incredibles
Now these are some superheroes I can get into. It's a movie without any cute animals or friendly sidekicks and works in spite of that departure. It balances action and comedy for a completely entertaining movie in every way. For some reason, I can't point out one scene, line, or character that makes this movie, but it's still my second favorite animated movie of all time. I just flat out love it.

1. Finding Nemo
There's just nothing that beats it. It's a magical journey of animation that carries the audience away from their lives. Dory is the best sidekick ever and probably the most memorable animated character of my lifetime. But she's not the only one. Marlon and Dory meet the sharks and the turtles and the jellyfish and the whales and the seagulls and the crabs. Each episode of their journey is as perfect as the last.







No comments:

Post a Comment