Saturday, June 22, 2013

Human Connections

When we think of the "beautiful" things in the world, we often imagine ocean views or flowers blooming. Maybe a horse or an attractive model. Photo galleries or movies confirm these points of beauty. But maybe the most beautiful things in our lives aren't things we see, but rather that we feel. Maybe it's those invisible fibers that string us together as one humanity. It's that look in a woman's eyes when her husband comes home or the way it feels when a father squeezes his sons' shoulders. It's laughter shared between best friends or just a simple nod of approval from a teacher. We should all treasure those connections because I personally think they are what makes life worth living.

I know that first paragraph seemed overly sentimental. And that is not like me at all. This summer, though, I've been spending a lot of time alone. I don't have a regular job and am living at home, which leaves me with long hours during the day trying to come up with valuable things to do with my time. And I've found I've been reading books and watching television series on Netflix a lot. I think I do that because I feel connected to the characters. I also value connections with people when I do go out more. I pay attention to the people at the bank or the grocery store. I take more time to visit an old friend I bump into at the convenience store.

We aren't going to all have the same connections in life. We don't all have spouses or mothers, coworkers or children, but I have no doubt that everyone has some kind of web of people around them. "Connections, connections, connections," people always say. I couldn't agree more. Connections don't only help you with your careers. They add something to the canvass of our lives, stringing out like lines. Painting a picture more beautiful than any in an art gallery.


No comments:

Post a Comment