Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Day Facebook Saved My Life...

So I took a trip for Thanksgiving to Arizona, where my grandpa lives. My family drove down and I was to meet them at the airport after finishing classes for the week. I have flown there several times before and had no worries...until I found my phone would not make any calls or send any texts at my connecting flight in Dallas. My phone turned on with chiming music and bright lights. It provided 3G coverage and sent me emails instantly but when it came to the one function it was designed for, actual phone calls, it was useless.

 I was filled with sheer panic. My flight was on time and I had just had dinner. I had plenty of money and I wasn't lost. Everything was going smoothly. But you would have thought I had been sent to Timbuktu instead of Dallas. I wanted to cry.

I sat down in my two hour layaway and thought over exactly what I am writing now.  I was being ridiculous. Twenty years ago, I would have gone the whole flight without a phone. I would have relied on someone to pick me up without confirmation. I would have gone throughout my entire day without talking to anyone that I didn't see face-to-face. I would be absolutely fine. Breathe.

And then my phone dinged. I jumped up and grabbed my phone to find I had received a Facebook message. I sent a message to my mom and all was saved. Thank you Facebook Messenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment