Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Problem With Girls

So, many of you have probably stumbled upon Jenna Marbles on Youtube at some time or another. If you haven't and want a laugh, look her up. She is hilarious. (But also a little PG-13) And let's be honest, that's not common for girls. How many girl comedians to you see?

But that isn't what this post is about. It is inspired be Jenna though after I watched a video called "Why Girls Hate Each Other" the other night. Straying away from her normal, goofy posts, she talks about girls and the jealousy they have for one another. And some of the things she said we very true to me.

She mentioned that we were taught from an early age that everything is a competition. The way schools are set up allows for this mentality. Grades are a competition. So are popularity contests like class officers and prom queens. There are magazines to compare "who wore it best" and give titles like "sexiest woman alive."

While I agree, I know from experience that when girls are unhappy, they are more likely to take it out on other girls that are happy. I know I did this. My first year of college, I became very depressed and I can't tell you how many times I took this emotion out on Taylor Swift or campus sorority girls or Twilight stars. I turned jealousy into hate and I didn't even know those girls. I see that same thing in girls all the time. One friend hates another friend just because she has a boyfriend or a girl makes excuses for why someone is successful (they have rich parents or they cheated, etc.).

Now, I know this may not be wholly a female problem, but I definitely see it in girls more often. And I don't think it's something that is going to change. But it's something I need to remind myself of sometimes. Abraham Lincoln once said, "Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be." It's not other people's fault if I'm unhappy. And it doesn't take beauty or talent or brains to create happiness. It just takes a decision to do what makes you feel happy. And happy girls really are the prettiest girls of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment