Saturday, September 8, 2018

When You Lose...

 This feeling sucks. This post-Husker loss slump can break your heart and suck the life right out of you. You can say "It's just a game" or "It wasn't all bad", but that doesn't stop the bleeding. 

Those wounds aren't something we need to hide away though. The only reason we have them is because we dove in with our hearts. Every single time the Husker football players take the field, I am filled with hope and joy and excitement. Sometimes those feelings are squashed, which hurts a lot, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't hope or get excited. A lot of people try that approach. We all know those fans that put up walls before the game even starts. They deflect hope and instead protect themselves by preparing to lose. 

Sure, they might not hurt quite as bad as optimistic fans like me do, but they also are missing something hugely important. That heart-racing feeling I get as I walk into the stadium can't be beat. And those feelings don't always get squashed. Instead, sometimes they multiply. Even today, there were moments where I was so excited I was jumping up and down. I couldn't stop smiling. I was so joyful and that joy reflected in every face around me. I was high-fiving strangers. It was contagious and it was amazing community experience.

This isn't an experience only found in sports or competitions. There are so many things to get excited about in the world. There is so much in our world to fall in love with. So much that makes us feel joy. It is so important that we don't avoid those things for fear of a broken heart. We will be let down over and over again. That is a fact. But avoiding experiences or lying about how much we care about something or someone won't make us hurt less. We have to take a chance at losing in order to take a chance winning the best things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment