Sunday, April 30, 2017

A Rainy Weekend Brings Me Back to My Roots

Last year, my dad sold the dirt contracting business that he had worked countless hours at my entire life. Now, he spends his days in Arizona with a pool and bar in his back yard, big machines and leveled dirt only in his memories. Even though that profession isn't a part of my life or my family's life anymore, it's funny how it can stick with you.

As I sat and watched it rain and rain and rain this weekend, all I kept thinking about is how muddy those construction sites were going to be. I kept remembering my dad moping around the house, thinking about the time and money he was losing. I was actually really upset that my rain gauge wasn't out because I felt the need to go check how many inches we had accumulated. I even made potato soup because I knew that was what my dad would have put his effort into when he got rained out.

This isn't the only way I'm still attached to the construction business. I can't tell you how many times in this past year I've driven by yellow bulldozers or scrapers and turned my head, looking for that Siel Construction label on the side that I know isn't there. Sometimes I'll see a truck with Oversize Load on the back and check the cab for a familiar face. I drive over highways all the time and wonder did my dad ever work on this stretch of land? Even though I was never involved in my dad's business more than holding a stop sign on the side of the road for one summer, it's amazing how others' lives and careers can seep into your own without you thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment