Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Some New Year's Resolutions

It has been a long time since I wrote on this blog. Probably the longest gap since I started the blog four years ago. But I'm back! And it's a new year. So, in honor of that, here are my resolutions for 2016.

1. I bet I say "sorry" at minimum 10 times a day. I'm sorry I'm bothering you with this question. I'm sorry I'm talking too much. I'm sorry that I don't have the right answer. I'm sorry I can't hang out with you today. Sorry, sorry, sorry. I will stop saying "sorry" so much. I am always apologizing for everything as if my mere existence was offensive to others. I need to stop thinking about every small inconvenience I might impose on others and be more sure of what I am doing and saying.

2. When I got back from winter break, one of my students asked me "Miss Siel, did you do something amazing over break?"
"Not really," I replied. "It was a really nice break, but nothing amazing."
He studied me for a few moments and then asked, "Well did you sleep a lot?"
"Yes, I sure did."
"That explains it," he said with certainty.
"Explains what?"
"Why you are so much nicer than you were at the end of last semester."

I laughed at the time. I was much kinder and engaged and helpful than the end of the first semester when I felt stressed and drained and frustrated. Kids sense that stress and frustration. And it makes for more chaotic classrooms. I want to be a positive spot in these young people's lives. I want to be present.

3. I will take time for myself. I will sleep instead of checking lesson plans at night. I will read a book even if I have a pile laundry to do. I will go get my hair cut without worrying incessantly about the money I'm spending. I will have a drink with a friend after work because the grades can be entered tomorrow. I will see a movie every once in a while.

4. I will make time for friends. I know I need me time, but I also want to make sure I take time for more social interactions. There were so many days last semester that I didn't talk to anyone outside or work. This in unacceptable. I have a phone. I live in Lincoln and can meet up with others. I will stop making excuses and do something on Friday evening.

5. I will continue to learn and improve. This is my yearly resolution. I always, always want to keep growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment