Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Being Part of a Team

Until recently I'd never been part of a team. You don't notice that you've been missing something your whole life until it happens to you. As I get closer to my "real job", I have collaborated a lot with colleagues in the process of learning to create lesson plans and manage classrooms. This group dynamic, working toward a common goal, is revitalizing. I couldn't figure out why I loved working with others so much when I used to despise anything that involved the words "team" or "group." So I've reflected and realized it's because I never had a functioning team effort before.

Sometimes the lack of teamwork in my past was my fault. I chose to take on all the work in every group project I was ever in for school because I wanted it "done right." I did an individual project for FCCLA and individual events for the most part on the speech team. When I joined clubs, I either let others do the work or completely controlled an event. I never wanted to collaborate on any pages in the yearbook. Other times, it wasn't entirely my fault. In volleyball, I was bullied by the other players and pushed aside by my coaches because I wasn't coordinated or athletic. The same held true for softball as a kid. The plays I was in in high school should have been a group effort, but I think everyone was out to be the best they could be (or just goof off) instead.

The key is, now that I understand I was missing the group dynamic, to continue working with others. I think teaching can be an isolating job if you choose to make it that way. If I take on 100+ kids next year and decide I can handle everything they through my way on my own, I will be missing out on valuable information from others who have had similar experiences. Every person has something to contribute and it is so exciting to work together sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment