Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Aunt Nancy

Earlier today my grandpa woke up from an afternoon nap. Sometimes he is disoriented or confused asking where he is or who I am. But on this particular occasion, he remembered all too well.

"We lost our Nancy," he said.

And my heart shattered into a million pieces. I will forever remember that moment and the utter heartbreak that weighted down his whole body and made my father cry. The world has lost a wonderful woman. She was a caring and patient daughter, an amazing big sister to four ornery brothers, a loving wife of 44 years, and an outstanding and dedicated mother who raised two incredible young men that I'm lucky to call my cousins.

I'll always remember Nancy as a storyteller. No one else could retell an event with such charisma. I always looked forward to talking to her at every family gathering for this reason. She had a contagious smile and she laughed all the time. I could even recognize when she was on the phone with my dad because there was always a smile in his voice when she called.

She wasn't ever dominating the conversation either. Each time I saw her she greeted me with a warm hug and asked me about exactly what I was doing in my life. It never felt like small talk but genuine caring. The last time I talked to her, she was so excited about my Scotland trip and my future as a teacher. I am so sad that I won't ever be able to chat with her about those experiences.

She was also a great gift-giver. I know that might sound silly but, as a kid especially, it was so exciting. When others would give you money or gift cards, she always hand-picked something unique like a scarf or a jewelry holder. They always meant so much because I knew she had thought through exactly what I might like.

Of course, these are only a small part of the woman that my aunt Nancy was. We will all miss her and love her and remember her in our own way. But none will miss her more than her husband and sons. Those three were her whole world. My heart goes out to them all at this time.

I love you Nancy.



No comments:

Post a Comment