Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Honor of Being a Maid of Honor

It has been a while since I have posted on this blog, but with such a hectic summer, I realize I have missed posting about a major piece of my summer. On May 31st, I had the honor of being the maid of honor in my friend Ashley's wedding. For those of you who really know me, you probably know I'm not a wedding person. I don't anything about flowers or invitations or decorations. I can't plan a party or a shower. I've never had grand plans for my own wedding. So, when I was asked to take on this big role for Ashley, after the initial excitement, I was worried about not being good enough to do the job.

But the job of maid of honor is all about party planning and decorating. It is the job of being a friend. Instead of trying to be perfect, I just tried to have fun. And I did. In fact, it was one of the most fun experiences of my life. We laughed and danced and enjoyed each other's company. We shared old memories and created new ones. I may not have remembered every detail of planning that I should have as the maid of honor but this is what I do remember.



I remember putting together bouquets at midnight the night before the wedding and laughing too much while playing with water bubbles because we were over tired. I remember cramming into a tiny room and seeing Ashley put on her dress for the first time. I remember Darrin squeezing Ashley's knee as we settled into the bus after the wedding and being filled with joy for them. I remember how the party bus took us like 20 minutes in the wrong direction. I remember dancing barefoot on the sticky floor. I will remember happiness from everyone. It was a wonderful night.

I know my mom posted this speech I gave earlier on Facebook but it was frozen so hopefully this version is better. Thank you Ashley. It was an honor to be your maid of honor.



No comments:

Post a Comment