Tuesday, March 4, 2014

There is So Much Good in the World

"What is happening to the world?" "This country is going to hell." "Kids these days..." It seems to me that everyone wants to think of the world as a downhill slide. We constantly focus on what is going wrong in our world instead of what is going right. Yes, I world has problems. It always will. But if there's one thing I believe most in the world, it's that there is so much good. The human spirit is still alive and well and I know it can outshine the worst of circumstances.

One night last week I took the bus and a young man was standing at the front of the bus, chatting with the bus driver and she was laughing. After wishing her a good night, he got off on the next stop and I was the only one left on the bus. The driver turned to me and smiled and told me that boy had stayed with her for the last hour as she rode around the loop between campuses just because he thought she probably got bored driving all day.

Recently there has been a group on campus that does "High-Five Friday" where they give high fives to everyone that passes by the union. Most days I'm looking down at the sidewalk and they make me look up and look the world in the eyes.  It always makes my day.

During the holiday season, I volunteered at the Center for People in Need and it was amazing to see how many people were there to volunteer their time, money, and items to insure everyone was able to celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Last semester, I saw some kids in the dining hall sit down with people who is eating alone several times. I remember how lost I was my freshman year and every time I hear, "Hi, my name is...can we sit with you?" my heart warms a little bit.

There are so many wonderful hearts out there. Not even somewhere far but right in your own city, your own neighborhood, your own building. There is love. There is kindness. There is compassion. And it is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment