Sunday, March 30, 2014

I'm Going to Scotland!


Hello! So, I've been waiting to post this and I'm not sure why. I've been committed to this trip for months but it hasn't seemed real until recently. I am completing my goal that I blogged about probably a year ago and studying abroad. I will take a month between June and July and travel to the University of Stirling in Scotland. I will take two classes while I am there, one writing and one education course, and hopefully do as much exploring as possible too. I just wanted to let all my readers know about that. Hopefully, I'll blog throughout the trip as well.

 Other updates on my life: Although I have been in school for four years, I am going to go another full year at the University of Nebraska. I will be mostly student teaching throughout that time. Because that will take up a lot of my time, I will most likely stop giving tours on campus, although I have really loved that job over the past two years. I am also planning on moving off-campus for the first time next year. Most of my friends are graduating and it seems like another big transition in my life right now.
And I'll leave you with some interesting facts you might not know about Scotland:

-The Hamilton Mausoleum in South Lanarkshire has the longest echo of any man-made structure in the world; a whole 15 seconds.
-Scotland has more than 600 square miles of freshwater lakes, including the famous Loch Ness.
-St Andrews Links is considered the "home of golf"; the sport has been played there since the 15th century.
-In the north east of the country, girls are called “quines” and boys “louns”.
-It is home to the oldest tree in Europe (pictured below), a twisted yew which has stood in Fortingall for 3,000 years. According to local legend, Pontius Pilate was born in its shade and played there as a child (It's the third picture above).
-The raincoat was invented in1824 in Scotland by Charles Macintosh, a chemist born in Glasgow. (I guess it rains there a LOT)
-The inventors of the television, telephone, and penisilun were all born in Scotland.
- It is home to 19 universities and institutes of higher education, including St Andrews, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met. 
-Famous Scottish writers include Sir Walter Scott and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. 
-Around 13 per cent of the population has red hair, with 40 per cent carrying the recessive gene.







No comments:

Post a Comment