Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Collection of Words

I just happened upon a document on my computer from my freshmen year full of quotes. I used to keep collections of quotes like this all the time. I have no idea what led me to do this, but reading back on what I collected told me a lot about who I was at that time in my life. And it was amazing how many still rang true to something going on in my life right now. I also helped me remember some books I read forever ago. I think I might pick up this habit again. You never know when those words can pop up and make my whole night. I just picked out a few of my favorites from the old document to share tonight. :)


- "If you're good at it, and you love it, and it helps you navigate the river of the world, then it can't be wrong." The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-Time Indian-Sherman Alexie

-"Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you’re just a reflection of him?" Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Waterson)

-"Don’t take a fence down until you know why it was put up." Robert Frost

-"You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace." Angela's Ashes-Frank McCourt

-"I have to tell you, I love living in a world with no clocks. The shackles are gone. I’m a puppy unleashed in a meadow of time." Love, Stargirl-Jerry Spinelli

-"It wasn't only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it was confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to grasp the simple truth that other people are as real as you." Atonement-Ian McEwan

-"I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles." Wintergirls-Laurie Halse Anderson

-"The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared." The Giver-Lois Lowry

-"A friend of mine once defined love as finding someone you can talk to late into the night." Maximum Ride Series-James Patterson

-"I know it is a bad thing to break a promise, but I think now that it is a worse thing to let a promise break you." A Northern Light-Jennefer Donnelly

-After you get stung, you can't get unstung, no matter how much you whine about it." The Secret Life of Bees-Sue Monk Kidd

-"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."-Winston Churchill

-"Perhaps to be able to learn things quickly isn't everything. To be kind is worth a great deal to other people...Lots of clever people have done harm and have been wicked." A Little Princess-Frances Hodges Burnett


No comments:

Post a Comment