Friday, October 4, 2013

Dancing Panda



So, I haven't posted in a while. This semester is very hectic. But I did do a blog last week. This blog was for my composition class.  We had an assignment to take our class mascot, the dancing panda and blog about the time spent with him/her. It gives an example of blogging as a form of writing for classwork. This was the adventure I took the panda on. :)


First they greeted me like a king. I was crowned with a lei upon entering the apartment and given the most prestigious seat in the house, on top of their palm tree.


Roxie's friends adored me and kept carrying me around the house. They tried many leis on me until they found just the right color (apparently, it's blue). These girls' giddy excitement was a bit overwhelming for a little panda, but I wasn't surprised since Roxie told me they regularly watch Nickelodeon and play games in which the floor is lava. As they made a feast for my arrival, I chatted it up with a parrot and made myself at home. I was later to find out that the delicacy they prepared was actually just ramen noodles. I didn't really eat anything on the plate, but don't tell the girls.
                                                                                      
That night, Roxie tried to make me as comfortable as possible. She researched and found that pandas sleep in caves in the moutains. Although I am just a stuffed panda, she thought this arrangement might still be appropriate so she made a makeshift cave out of her pillow pet and set me up on a high cabinet. I have to say, it was one of the strangest sleeping arrangements to date, but it actually was sort of comfy.
The next day, I went to classes with Roxie. We had Reading Theory and Practice and Women in Pop Culture. Both were very interesting. Most classes I have to listen to through a muffled bookbag, but Roxie let me sit on her desk in the second class. She said I needed fresh air.
I was even able to participate in discussions with these ladies (yes, the class is entirely female) because Roxie made me do the reading the night before while she tackled Teaching for Joy and Justice.
After class, we had to run through the rain. Roxie was entirely unpreppared and got soaked. This was one of those times that being stuffed in a bag wasn't too bad of a deal. Bangs and rain don't mix, so Roxie was dripping for quite some time. She decided she needed to take me on a real adventure, so she made an impromptu trip to her sister's volleyball game 106 miles away. What a great sister! Before we could head out, Roxie needed some "Juice for the Journey" so we stopped in at Juice Stop. You might notice that Roxie's name is actually on the cup. This, and the fact that they made her a drink without her even ordering, leads me to believe she comes here a lot. I must admit the Penalty Flag was very tasty and the staff was very nice.    
                                                                                                   
And then the road trip began!
 During the trip, Roxie alternated between singing along to blaring music and sitting in silence making up poems about "sunflower ditches" and "bubble-gum sunsets." I haven't decided yet which was more annoying, but I'm leaning toward the poetry since I'm so small I couldn't even see what she was describing. Sometimes it stinks to be small. When we arrived at the game, Roxie realized she was accidently wearing the opposing team's color, which was a little embarrassing. Luckily, my colors fit in almost anywhere. I had a wonderful time at the game. Although I did get a little distracted for the actual volleyball since I was looking for good photo ops, hanging with the cheerleaders, and listening to the band.
                                                                                                                                            
Unfotunately, they lost the volleyball game, but I tried to keep Brigitte in good spirits after the game anyhow. All in all, I had a great day, exploring new places, trying new things, and meeting new friends :)
                                                                                                                             Until next time,
                                                                                                                              Dancing Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment