Saturday, September 21, 2013

Snapshots of College

So I just wanted to get a blog post in this week, but I don't really have any bright ideas. But I was reflecting on all of the really cool things I've done since I started college. And I decided my blog needed some more pictures. So here's a walk through college memories....so far.

I came to UNL a few weeks early and partook in NU Start. I met some great people and took a great English class. It was a rebellious time in some ways. I swam in the school fountain and snuck out past curfew for the first time in my life (to play ping-pong haha.) This picture was during an epic game of sardines in Neihardt.


I played lots of sand volleyball. We even did it as an intramural team last year for a while. Nothing like running around in the cool sand laughing with friends.


I spent many lovely moments with this beautiful girl. Even the little things like gossip over pizza in the dining hall or "studying" when we never got anything done. Some scary movies or trips to the mall. This particular picture is from a Halloween dance my freshman year.


I really have taken some very rewarding classes. This was from a photography project my very first semester in Creativity 101. It was so much fun to use my brain in different, creative ways. I've also taken a geology class with a really cool professor that made the subject relevant, been in a wonderful fiction writing class, done acting scenes with really cool people, and even took an entire class on Meryl Streep. I really couldn't have asked for a better university class experience.




I was part of a Mulan puppet show. Not many people can say that. I also went dancing a Pla Mor a lot my freshman year, which was really fun.


I got to go on a spring break my freshman year too. It was the only year I was able to do that and I was also able to reconnect with some wonderful high school friends. We shopped, got lost in Kansas City, and ate wonderful food.


And then there's obviously Husker football. What's UNL without it? I have been to 23 games so far since starting college (24 tomorrow) and I can honestly say I regret none of them, even the terrible losses. There's nothing like the community of the student section. I have shared many of my games with my sister too. One of my favorite games was the one below. It was so cold but we had so much fun.

 
I even got to go to an away game last year and explore the city of Chicago in the process. It was amazing! And guess what? I'm going to Minneapolis this year. Yay!


I also got a new car while in college. It was very exciting and I still love it so much. It is really my favorite possession, even if I'm not that much of a driver.


 And then, of course, I met these crazy people in Pound and haven't got rid of them since ;) We've had some really great times. 


One included Halloweens. What a wonderful holiday to be the total dorks we are. 


We've also added new friends throughout the years. Never a dull moment. I always have someone to call or text if I want to go out and do anything (this was at Old Chicago).


I have also been involved in many different organizations throughout my time here. I've gone on camping trips with a few different groups, helped fix up an elementary school once, and have been to many UNL recruitment events. This was from one camping trip where I got to participate in some cool obstacle courses and face my fears of heights.


And then I turned 21, and had a lot of good friends come celebrate with me. :)





I have tried to take advantage of all the student events I can, including pancake feeds and free movies, dances and Bingo nights. We even went to a carnival a few time, complete with snow cones that turned my mouth blue. 


But some of my best moments in college weren't exciting ones, but just those spent chilling on the couch, joking with friends or watching ridiculous youtube videos Stephanie forced me to watch (that I secretly liked more than I led on). Thanks to everyone that has made my college experience special and I look forward to making this year the best one yet.

1 comment: