Saturday, October 12, 2013

Teaching Teachers

So I am now taking most of my classes with the same group of 21 students. All of us are learning how to be English teachers. What's so cool about working with this bunch is that you get to see all of the different teaching outlooks and methods and core beliefs. Everyone works together, but I think that we show who we are as individual teachers more each day and this is part of a poem that I scribbled one day in class when thinking about it. I decided to post it, because I'm reminding myself that all writing is important, even if it is in between doodling in an intolerably boring class. Writing is writing and it doesn't have to be perfect. "You only fail if you stop writing."-Ray Bradbury

My classrooms are full of future classrooms
Like a puzzle of somewhat mismatched pieces.
A mosaic that becomes a bit clearer
Whenever the light shines through.

I see classrooms in strictly straight lines of desks.
And I see cross-legged sharing on the floor.
I see classrooms with bright colored posters.
Classrooms with blogs and homemade movies.

My classrooms are full of voices.
All of them have something different to say.
An orchestra of teachers,
hoping to help their students in some small way.

I hear classrooms of strong, loud instruction
Classrooms of soft-worded conferences
I hear classrooms teaching inflection and tone.
And others filled with silly middle school laughter.

My classrooms are full of future classrooms. 


No comments:

Post a Comment