Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Limited Vocabulary

Today, I had an assignment in my Linguistics class in which I had to read a list of words and check the ones that I knew the definition of. Seems simple enough, until the first section of "simple" words gives you words like valetudinarian and leitmotiv. What?

So my results came out that I know approximately 19,000 English words and the average is 20,000-25,000. Right now I'm pouting about the whole situation. As an avid reader and writer, this is a huge hit to my confidence.  My constant losses in absolutely every Words with Friends game should have given me a hint that I wasn't up to par.

So I face the dilemma, how do I learn more words? Most people say this is through reading, but I am constantly reading. I can't remember the last time I wasn't reading a book. My solution (for now, I am hoping some of you might have other suggestions) is to have a Word of the Day every day. So, be on the lookout for new words in my blogs in weeks to come so I expand my vocabulary inchmeal.

See? Inchmeal was Merriam-Webster's word of the day and my autocorrect is underlining it! I just don't understand...

No comments:

Post a Comment