Sunday, September 30, 2012

Why I Surprisingly Really Do Love Sports

Since I watched an amazing comeback game in Husker football last night, it seems appropriate that I talk about sports this week. When I first thought of that topic, I pushed it out of my mind, thinking there was nothing profound or interesting I could say about football, but after some lazy Sunday musings, I have changed my mind.

I have never been an athlete. Or anything close to one. The only two sports I have ever enjoyed are swimming and volleyball and only at the recreational level. I guess I've never had that competitive passion. Or love of running. Or any sort of coordination. Most of the time, the idea of playing basketball or tennis or even golf just makes me groan. I'd rather read or take a nice, relaxing, VERY SLOW walk.

But the spirit of watching a sport is irresistible. Last night I stood for hours on end, shouting and fist pumping and giving high fives. There is no other feeling like that. Every time Wisconsin crept toward our end zone, my heart beat against my rib cage with nervousness and when Martinez threw a pass I would practically fly off the bleachers with it. I actually ended up hugging people around me I'd never met.

Football is my favorite sport to watch, but this year I have found many others to enjoy too. I was wrapped up in the Olympics and glued to the couch during the NBA finals. And how awesome was Andy Murray's win over Djokovic at the U.S. open? Sports bring us together and lift our hearts.

I am in a reporting class right now in which I am required to read newspapers every day. And let me tell you, news, whether world, national, or local, can be very depressing. I once heard a quote by Earl Warren that stated, " I always turn to the sports section first.  The sports page records people's accomplishments; the front page has nothing but man's failures." I think this is true. Failures are newsworthy in most types of news, but sports are about celebrating accomplishments. I think all sports require a sense of pride and community, even if you never play a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment