Wednesday, January 20, 2021

You Deserve to Eat

 I know a lot of people are starting the year with diets. Maybe you are avoiding carbs or added sugar. Maybe you are loading up on protein or drinking gallons of water each day. Whatever you are doing, I hope that is going well. I am rooting you on with whatever you do. But for anyone out there that needs to hear this, you deserve to eat. Even if you didn't go to the gym today. Even if the number on the scale isn't what you'd like. Even if you ate a big breakfast. You are worthy of food when you are hungry. Period. I am so tired of us demonizing food and therefore ourselves or others who eat those foods. 


To the coworker who walks by the bowl of Starburst on my desk each day with a pained look on her face because that one piece of candy is totally off-limits, I really wish you'd enjoy a moment of bliss on the way back to your desk. 

To the coworker who makes comments about how much she needs to lose every single day, I think you are wonderful and I hope you can appreciate many things your body can do in spite of any number.

To the coworker who watches what everyone else eats at lunch and tries to explain her choices for her own meal, you don't have to justify your own worth. I wish you would start enjoying your lunch instead of stressing about it. And when I don't eat, it is because I promise I'm just not hungry. I'm not better than you. 


And most importantly, to myself, guilt should not be an ingredient of any food. It was okay to trash that broccoli because it didn't taste good. It was okay that you ate that whole plate of nachos when you were really hungry. No matter what my size, I deserve to eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment