Thursday, March 8, 2018

Where Were You Yesterday?

I think it always feels good to be missed. Whenever I miss work or a class and someone asks me about it, I feel important. I feel noticed. So, I absolutely always make an effort to acknowledge a student who has missed my class, even for a day. These quick, private conversations at the beginning of class always start with, "We missed you yesterday." Sometimes they smile and go on their way. Sometimes, they explain. You might expect an explanation to be a doctor's appointment or an illness. My background tells me that these are reasons to miss school. But I've learned there is a whole lot more than that. These are some reasons my students missed school just this year...

"I had to take care of my little brother. My mom couldn't pay for daycare until she got paid again." 

"Sorry I was gone so long Miss Siel. I was really sick and the flu medicine cost too much for us. I'll try to catch up"

"I spent all day at the hospital. My little cousin was born too small and is sick. No one at the hospital speaks Karen, so I had to translate for the doctors."

"We moved again" (4 times this school year)

"My dad just got out on bail and my mom didn't want him to find us. So we had to go away for a while." 

"The gas guy came to the house and my mom couldn't take off work to let him in. Now we have heat." 

These kids are 12-14 years old. Breaks your heart doesn't it? In the words of my wise 13-year old student, "Everyone has their stuff going on so you've got to be understanding." 




1 comment:

  1. want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!

    Best Bruce Willis movies
    Watch Death Wish putlockers
    Dangal putlockers
    The dark knight rises putlocker
    The Matrix putlocker
    August rush putlockers

    ReplyDelete