Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Best Picture Nominee Rankings

I officially finished my final Best Picture nominee tonight. I still have some short films and documentaries and foreign films to get in before the Oscars, but I have all the main categories down. And it was such a good year! Last year felt a little lackluster, but this year was so damn good I can't even stop thinking and talking about these movies. I'm such a nerd that I was writing multiple essays in my head on the way home from Omaha about the themes of love and compassion and responsibility and control and moral decisions using examples from all the movies I watched. Is there a job where you can write deep thoughts about movies or books...that literally no one would care about except me? Because I think I'd be good at it.

I know my favorites won't win. They rarely do. It isn't really about the awards for me. It's just about great movies. These are all the Best Picture nominees in order of my own ratings. A good movie usually gets a 6 or 7 out of 10, so there were some off-the-charts good ones.

Call Me By Your Name-10/10
Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri-9/10
Get Out-8/10
Phantom Thread-8/10
Darkest Hour-7/10
Lady Bird-7/10
The Post-7/10
The Shape of Water-4/10
Dunkirk-3/10


Stand Out Performances: Timothee Chalamet, Daniel Kaluuya, Gary Oldman, Saoirse Ronan, Sam Rockwell

Also Worth Watching: Coco, Beauty and the Beast, Blade Runner 2049, The Greatest Showman, The Florida Project

No comments:

Post a Comment