Sunday, September 24, 2017

What It Means to Be a Fan

After 7 seasons of being a Husker/Husker alum, I have seen my fair share of Husker football fans. I've stood in the student section for over 40 games, so mostly I see students, ranging from nervous/excited freshmen to seniors with face paint and staked out spots. But for the past 3-4 years, I have sat behind the band, closer to the general East stadium crowd with families with hands filled with hot dogs and ice cream and senior citizens with cans who somehow still sit through the entire game, no matter the weather.

No matter what we say about being the "best fans in college football", there are many fans that are arrogant and rude. There are many that don't care an inkling about football and spend most of their time on their phone, getting just the right filter on their picture. But there are a LOT of amazing fans too. Those who stick it out, even when we aren't very good. Those that cheer and clap and encourage always. That's the fan I always hope to be because being a fan of any team in any sport shouldn't really be about the win-loss record.

Yeah, that's right. Hard to believe, huh? Isn't that what sports are all about? You wouldn't believe how many people look at me with pity when I tell them I have season tickets in seasons that aren't going so well. There are people (from Nebraska) who tell me I should find a different team to cheer on who has a better record. Sure, it sucks to be invested in a game and watch it turn into a loss, but that's part of the experience. There are no great highs without lows.

I bring this up this week because my friend and I have a regular seat buddy at the home games this year. He is a man who I would guess is in his 50s. He comes alone, stands in the student section, and screams the entire game. He drives us insane, honestly. He rarely has a good thing to say and has a very vocal suggestions for absolutely everything. I thought, "Why do you watch it if it makes you so upset?" I go to games for the sense of community and the adrenaline rush and anticipation for something I've never seen and the pure love of the sport and for hope--no matter the opponent. He talks to no one, seems stoic, never gives compliments on positive plays, and seems to have no hope at all. So why does he come? Why does he spend over 3 hours on his feet? Why does he pay the money for a ticket? I really genuinely want to know. What makes fans like that continue to be fans? No solution or catharsis on this post, just thoughts and questions.

Happy Sunday and Go Huskers!


No comments:

Post a Comment