Tuesday, June 27, 2017

8 Memories for my Grandpa's 80th Birthday

I spent the last week in approximately 115 degree weather in Arizona in order to celebrate my Grandpa Dick's 80th birthday. I wanted to do something in honor of this occasion all week, but couldn't think of what exactly to write about. My grandpa has always been a dynamic character in my life. He changes his mind on the turn of a dime and can make you so frustrated, but he also cares deeply about his family and listens even when he doesn't seem to be. Since I think it's impossible to list 80 of anything, I just chose 8 moments that stand out to me when it comes to Grandpa.

1. Thanksgiving on Beach Chairs--One year I decided to go down by myself and spend Thanksgiving weekend with Grandpa. We ended up eating lunch on the day of Thanksgiving with family (most of whom I had never met before). As I may have mentioned, I am terrible in social situations, especially when I don't know everyone and after eating I was awkwardly wandering around the house, just wanting to go home. Grandpa put his hand on my shoulder and asked me to come outside with him. We lounged on the beach chairs in the sun, not saying a word for at least the next 30 minutes. I'm not sure why he pulled me out there, but those silent, sunny minutes were the most peaceful of the day.

2. Fireworks Stand--For several years, my family set up a fireworks stand in Franklin to earn extra money for college. Although I was old enough to run the stand myself, Grandpa insisted on being there every day. And he also insisted on providing lunch every day. Which always consisted of either Casey's pizza or hot dogs. I was so sick of those things for that week, but he was so proud to have contributed.

3. Stargazing--Grandpa is always trying to teach me some kind of lesson, whether its about history or politics or just life in general. I admit that many of them are ignored, but one thing I always remember him teaching me is how to find the north star on any given night. Whenever I'm sitting outside at night, I feel the need to point it out so he knows I excelled in this lesson.

4. Convenience Store Runway--One summer when I stayed with my aunt and uncle in Columbus, I would often go to my grandpa's convenience store. He always let me pick out an iced honey bun on the shelf to eat. One year, though, after I was finished eating breakfast, he set me to the task of walking back and forth on a straight line between tiles on the floor. Back and forth. Back and forth. He said it was to practice being a model. It was probably because I was so clumsy and he was tired of watching me trip over my own feet. Whatever crazy motive, I remember the weird runway walk.

5. Interstellar--One of the last times I stayed with my grandpa, I asked him to drive me to the movie theater. He, like usual, insisted on going along. It was a 10:00 movie and it was long. I tried to convince him otherwise, but he went to see Interstellar with me. And he was utterly confused. He turned to me at least every 5 minutes the entire movie asking me "Who is that?" "Why did he do that?" "Where are they now?" and so on. I explained everything I could (it is a bit hard to follow the first time) and afterwards, he couldn't stop telling me that I was so smart to figure out the movie. The next morning when I woke up, he had written 3 more questions he forgot to ask the night before.

6. Cookies--When I stayed over Thanksgiving, Grandpa took me to the store to pick out drinks and snacks for the weekend. He told me I had to pick out cookies to go in the cookie jar. I picked out Chips Ahoy Chunky ones and watched the entire day as the cookie level got lower and lower as each of us grabbed one on the way through the kitchen. The entire box was gone in less than 24 hours. I still think of him when I buy those cookies.

7. Story-telling--I remember telling my grandpa when I was younger that I was going to be a famous writer. Instead of being practical or blowing me off, he told me to tell him all about the story I was going to write. We walked around the blocks of Franklin while I chatted his ear off about characters and plot twists and he listened the whole time and even asked questions. It made me feel as if he really thought I could do it.

8. Double Solitaire--Although whenever I think of the game of double solitaire, I think of my parents battling it out, I also remember teaching the game to my grandpa once. Neither of us was nearly as fast as my parents, but we made for a good, slow rivalry for several games.

No comments:

Post a Comment