Sunday, January 15, 2017

Transforming Self-Critcism into Self-Worth

I am hard on myself. I know it, but I still doubt and criticize myself daily. So, this week, as an experiment, I decided to record my self-criticism and then essentially edit it into self-praise. I think it made me really consider the boundary between high expectations and unrealistic expectations. I was really beating myself up about some of these things and when I made myself reflect like this, I had to admit how ridiculous some of these criticisms were. I didn't do anything illegal or immoral. I didn't hurt myself or anyone else in any way. Maybe I didn't do my best, but I did enough.  I am enough.


1. I only made it to my gym three times this week.

2. I'm not sure I responded appropriately to a parent in a phone call. I made 7 phone calls home this week even though they make me extremely uncomfortable because I cared about the children doing their best.

3. I am behind on dishes/laundry/cleaning. I spent some quality time with my siblings this week, caught up with friends I hadn't seen in a while, and graded 75 essays, and still managed to have something clean to wear and something to eat on every single day.

4. I slept in too late on Thursday and didn't wear any makeup or even do my hair for work. I was present and engaged every day with my students.

5. I did all my graduate school work at the last minute.

6. I let the kitty litter sit without cleaning it for several days and it was gross. I spent 20 minutes today brushing my cat because he is too old to groom himself well.

7. I didn't eat very healthy this week. I didn't drink a single Mountain Dew this week.

8. I skipped 3 lunches in the teacher's lounge this week, so everyone probably thinks I'm antisocial. I spent my entire lunch one day this week listening to a teacher who was upset vent and I told her she was doing a good job, because everyone needs to hear that once in a while.

9. I forgot to call the dentist to schedule an appointment. I paid all my bills for the month weeks before they were due.

10. I had to stop twice during a workout because I'm so out of shape...but I didn't give up and I finished with the rest of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment