Tuesday, November 8, 2016

An Open Letter to My Students...

I know many of you are scared. I know you feel misrepresented or unheard. You may be confused. I sure am. But I want you to know that I still care about you. I want you to know there are millions of kind and loving people in the United States. And even though many of those people lost an election, I truly believe in the power of these people.

I have seen your parents work as hard as they can to give you a better life, even though our current immigration system has made that nearly impossible. I have seen the battles your families have fought. I have seen you work each day to do your very best in school and I know you are a valuable member of the United States, no matter what any immigration status is.

I respect your religion. I love that you have faith. Believe what you want to believe. Pray to who you want to pray to (or don't pray at all.) You still have that freedom in America, no matter what Trump says and I will defend you with my every word and action. I know this doesn't change the abuse you get when you walk into a store. I know this doesn't change the awful words people have said about you. I want so bad to take that fear away from you. Because no child should feel ashamed of who they are. I makes me sick to my stomach. I am literally crying for you right now. I am holding on to the shred of hope that no matter who Trump chooses as judges that they take a judge's oath seriously and give us the freedoms we as Americans have sacrificed many, many lives for.

And please, girls, don't give up on any of your dreams. I know you want to be doctors and CEOs and pilots and judges. You can. It will be extremely difficult because America is hard on women. It never has been "great" for us. It has been getting better, but we are not given equal treatment. Please keep pushing through. Nothing will get better without effort. I will stand with you. Always.

And finally, try to forgive. Don't push people away. Not every Trump supporter is racist. Division isn't going to help. They have concerns too, even if you and I don't fully understand them. Make your voice known, but also open your ears. With an election season with such lack of respect, please remember to be kind even when you disagree. Don't let your light go out. Keep dreaming; keep hoping; keep loving. I love you all, no matter what your race, gender, religion, or language. You are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment