Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Little Wonders

This post is titled based on one of my favorite Rob Thomas songs. I have always believed it is the little things, the tiny twists and turns of fate, rather than the big things that define our lives. It is those little wonders that make me love my job day in and day out. Maybe I'm frustrated by a change in curriculum or exhausted after dealing with the same behaviors over and over. But then a moment comes along and I remember why I'm doing this. Here are some of my recent "little wonders."


1. One student, who I am constantly at odds with, came in with a grin one day. He handed me an envelope. Tucked inside was a letter he wrote to me. He apologized for his behavior and explained that he wanted to be better. He said he could communicate his feelings better in writing. I wrote him a letter back. We have been pen pals of sorts ever since.

2. I have a student who hates reading aloud. I never make him in front of the class, but I am required to listen to him for a fluency grade several times a quarter. I sat with him as he struggled word by word to read me a story. At the end, I thanked him and started walking away. He stopped me and said, "Thank you Miss Siel. You're a good listener."

3. Last year, I had one student who always forgot to turn in his homework. Every time. We talked about accountability. I teased him that I should put a tattoo on him that would say "Never forget to turn in the work for Miss Siel." He laughed, but about 15 minutes later he raised his hand. I came over and he asked me for my arm. I held it out and he wrote his initials on my arm in marker. "Your turn," he said and handed me the marker.  I was a bit confused, but I signed his arm. "Now you will always remember to be patient with me and smile more and I will remember to bring my homework every day." This only worked for about a week or two. He is in 8th grade this year and no longer in my class, but still in my building. I saw him the other day in the hall. He said, "I still remember my tattoo and I bring my homework almost every day," he bragged. I had to admit I remembered my tattoo too and it reminded me to be patient and smile.

4. I had a boy come to me before class the other day and ask me what he should do when taking a girl out on a date. I wanted to laugh, but he was dead serious and I was flattered that he felt comfortable asking me, so I gave him some suggestions on how to be polite and where he could go, etc. I couldn't help myself so I asked him who the lucky girl was. He smiled and told me it was his mom's birthday and she never went out because she was too busy taking care of him. He had saved up some money and was going to take her out on a date to celebrate because she deserved it.

5. A little girl, about 7-8 years old, walked into my room during parent-teacher conferences and started talking to me. A few minutes later, her mom came in and apologized and tried to get her daughter to follow her. The mother looked exhausted. I knew her from last year and knew that she was a single mother of three girls. I told her not to worry, Tessa and I would hang out together and she should just finish conferences and come pick her up later. I never had too many parents come as a reading teacher anyway. We watched funny videos and talked about books and drew pictures for the next 30-40 minutes until her mom came back. The relief in her mother's eyes and the numerous giggles from Tessa made it the best conference of the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment