Monday, January 26, 2015

Let's Ditch This "Now or Never" Mentality

It's official. We now live in the YOLO generation. There are a plethora of songs about "living like we're dying." Parents and grandparents urge us to have fun while we are young. Professors urge us to take as many opportunities as possible while we're in college. I just saw a post on Pinterest yesterday that said "One day you will wake up and there won't be any more time to do the things you've always wanted." Live in the moment. Carpe diem. Now or never.

And I'm sick of it.

I am very susceptible to this line of thinking. I tend to constantly worry about making each moment count. I try to jump on every opportunity presented because it might be my only chance. Being wrapped up in what I might regret missing is actually ruining my present instead of enhancing it. In some instances, my YOLO state of mind has brought great joy to my life. It helped me to study abroad and go to concerts. I met some great friends when I said "Yes" to an offer. I discovered new places while geocaching and new food by just walking in a new place. But I have also overburdened myself on many occasions with too many things. Think the movie Yes, Man. 

But here's the thing I need to tell myself. And all of you. We can't take a job or buy a house or go on a trip or do anything because it might be our last opportunity to do so. It not "now or never." It's "this opportunity or another one." This week one of my professors said to me. "Never ever make a decision out of fear. Whenever possible, make it out of joy." She told me that she had job offers in Florida and California, but chose to come to UNL because her visit to Nebraska made her feel good.

The other day on the phone with my mom, I heard myself say "I'm afraid" way too many times. "I'm afraid I won't be happy if I make the wrong choice now." "I'm afraid if I don't move somewhere new now, I never will." "I'm afraid I chose the wrong major altogether." "I'm afraid I can't make a difference here." I think this is a common sentiment. Friends have told me they are afraid if they can't make a relationship work now, they may never find someone. Others have told me they are afraid if they don't go back to school now, they'll never get another degree. Our society is always worried we'll be too late to have kids or travel the word or run a marathon.

Sometimes, though, the best things come not by seizing the moment, but by having a little bit of patience. In a society of immediate satisfaction, this is difficult to bear. Let's live in today...but also remember there is always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment