Friday, September 6, 2013

An Introduction

First of all, as a blog writer, I enjoy browsing through other blogs sometimes. Last week, I found this one that I linked below. It reminded me a lot of my 21st birthday post about goals for the year, only she has four years on me. I really enjoyed the post and thought I'd share.

25 Things I Want Myself to Know at 25

Secondly, for one my classes this semester, I have essentially a group of high school "pen pals" that we are going to help with their writing. To introduce ourselves to these students, we were assigned to write a a poem titled "I am from..." This is what I came up with.


I am from a backyard theatre.
“The Terrible ‘Black Lab’ Wolf”,
“The Search for Thumbelina,
Or sometimes the Mighty Power Rangers
When my younger siblings win.

From sticky Deep Woods bug spray
And muddy feet stomping through the crick.
Mulberry nail polish
And salad made of leaves and very pre-ripe apples.

I am from a mother watching black and white movies
In the middle of the night.
Forgetting she’s an artist until she builds
A bridge for Josh’s science project or
Draws a scene for my play.

From crimped hair every morning,
French toast sticks with honey.
A hug when it’s needed most and
“It will all be better in the morning.”

I am from a gym with the same thirty kids are playing
“Boys Chase Girls” and then walking to Pomp and Circumstance
On graduation day.
A gym where I am cheering on the sidelines and
Making a debut in the play “Orphan Train.”

From my perch in the lifeguard chair,
Twirling my whistle round and round.
And cruising down Main Street
Or getting lost on an unmarked country road.

I am from a father who reclining each evening with
One hand on our dog Ginger and the other on the television remote
Flipping between shows like American Pickers or boxing
While he’s really thinking about work or an upcoming golf tournament.

From rides in the bulldozer on snow days
And bags full of deer jerky after hunting season.
From a constant state of home renovation and
A yearly winter vacation.

Now I am from North 16th Street in Lincoln
Doing homework in a room with friends
And an inflatable palm tree.
Awaiting the next Husker football game.

From the College of Education and
The Class of 2015.
Ramen noodles and strawberry poptars.
Finishing papers at 3 am.

Now I am calling home after class,
Sharing tales of our days.
“I’m so happy for you.”
Or “It’s going to be okay.”
Some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment