Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Knowing Others. Knowing Yourself.

Middle-schoolers know everything.
Didn't you know?
They know the release date for the newest pair of Jordan's
And every word recited by Lil Uzi Vert.
They know that Mrs. ____ hates them.
And that reading class will always be boring. 
They know Steph Curry is a god
And that they will be famous like him one day.

As they are trying so hard to know everything,
making assumptions and spitting out unquestionable facts
as quick as the shot of a gun,
I am quick with a counterattack
of all the things I don't know.

"I don't know what you do after school.
I don't know your greatest fears.
I don't know what makes you laugh
or who you trust to hold your secrets.
I don't know you."

"But you want to know something?
You may not be able to choose your teachers,
or your chores, or your classes, or even your family,
but you can choose who you share your life with.
I'm here to listen if you want.
You don't have to tell me anything about yourself.
I don't need to know." 

.........................................................................

As I grow older, more people "know" me.
Didn't I know? 
They know I'm loyal
and will always show up.
They know I'm forgetful
and shouldn't be trusted.
They know I'm shy.
I just need to "open up."
They know I'm loud.
And tap me to remind me to quiet down.

As they are trying so hard to remind me of who I am,
giving me advice and assuring me of their camaraderie
grasping at this rope between us,
I am starting to understand
that even I don't yet really know myself.

I don't know who I want to be when I "grow up."
I don't know how to be less stressed.
I don't know what will bring me the most joy.
I don't know how to find balance.
I'm still figuring it out.

But you want to know something?
I may not be the best teacher or friend, or daughter.
I may not say the right things.
I may say way too much.
But I am lucky enough to have people that will listen.
And I still, have that power to choose
to whom I hand the keys to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment