Friday, May 12, 2017

Something to do With My Hands (or Brain)

In the school year full of slime, flipped water bottles, rubber bands, and fidget spinners, I've heard my fair share of "I just need something to do with my hands." Of course, I tell my students most of this time that this is just an excuse for being obnoxious, but it seems that we are now in an era where focus on one task is hard to come by. I know I struggle to watch an entire television show without eating or playing on my phone or doing some other task during the show. This week without Internet or television drove me completely crazy.

While I'm not exactly a "fidgeter", I prefer to be busy and always doing something. I think that is part of the reason I tend to overbook myself, working several jobs and taking grad classes and volunteering when I can. I don't need the extra job at the Haymarket, but there is something totally satisfying to me about a 6 hour shift in which I never had any down time. I'm exhausted at the end, but feel like my hours went to good use. When I don't have grad papers and reading to do after school (like now when I'm on a short break), I actually make myself lists of things to do like alternating between reading a book and doing dishes and writing lesson plans and going to the gym, just so I don't have to sit and let my mind wander to overthink something stupid instead.

Of course, there are times when no plans and no obligations and relaxation is important. I'm sure I could use some more of that. But for now, I'm okay with keeping my body and brain busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment