Friday, February 17, 2017

My Brain Needs a Reset Button

When your computer freezes or isn't working properly, we all know the solution is to turn it off and turn it back on again. I do the same thing for my printer or Apple TV or even my phone. So, why oh why can't I do the same thing for myself? My mind is on high alert from the moment I wake up worrying about the copies I need to make until night when I lay in bed thinking about a book I'm reading and a conversation I had with a student and a paper I'm writing for grad school and what I'm doing this summer (probably all of these thoughts in the span of a minute-I'm serious). I just want it to reboot for one lousy minute. I'd settle for 30 seconds.

Of course, you are probably thinking that is what sleep is for. And that is true. If I was actually sleeping. But according to my Fitbit, I have not had an hour of continuous restful sleep all week. So even in sleep, I can't fully reset. The worst part is, this wasn't even a bad week. Nothing terrible happened. I had some good days at school. And I really, really tried to decompress. I worked out every day. I went to two movies. I drove around and listened to music one night. I talked to family and friends.So I'm still on the search for a reset button. If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment