Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Rest is Still Unwritten...

On my way to the first day of school this year, I turned on the radio to find the song "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. I hadn't heard the song in ages and turned it up and sang it on my way. It seemed like such an appropriate song for a first day, with lyrics like "staring at the blank page before you" and "today is where your book begins." It put me in a good mood.

Strangely enough, I have heard that song now two more times on the radio this week. It is a song from 2004, so this is very unusual, but somehow it keeps reminding me that each new day is unexplored and full of possibilities. In a chapter of my life when a lot of things are changing such as friends growing apart and my parents moving to Arizona and my sister going back to college, it sometimes feels like the future is a bit unknown and scary.

But that is the beauty of it isn't it? Anything can happen. I can start a new job, move any place I want, take up a new hobby, meet a new person, learn something new. These things can happen everyday and as long as I "live [my] life with arms wide open." Some things end and some things begin and you don't know when they will. "The pen's in my hand. Ending unplanned." And that's the way we should live.

On a personal note, for my family and friends that keep up with this blog, I have started teaching my second year at Park Middle School. I switched to teaching exclusively Reading instead of both Reading and English. So far, I love the smaller classes and more individualized attention I can give to my students. I am also attending Arizona State University online for a Master's Degree in English as a Second Language starting this fall. I moved up to a townhouse in the Highlands of Lincoln that my parents bought this summer and Bowser and I love it. I am very excited for this year and all the yet unwritten opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment