Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Roxie and Sarah's Guide to Horror Movies Part 2

Section 4: The Twist Ending

If you have ever watched a scary movie with me, you know I always assume there will be a twist at the end. For whatever reason, I always believe I am being deceived when I watch the horror genre. I am sometimes right on and sometimes way off. There is something fascinating about an entire movie being laid out to trick an audience that is magical. The best ones that come to mind are obviously The Sixth Sense and probably The Others. There are many, many others but those are two that really got me. I remember watching The Sixth Sense on VHS and having to rewatch it right away.


Section 5: Movies From Our Adolescence

When you ask people what movie scared them the most, I would say generally people answer with a movie they saw when they were younger. The teenage years are times of great impression. I always remember my mom talking about watching When a Stranger Calls when she was in high school and being too afraid to babysit again. For Sarah and I, two movies that came out in middle school hold very big scare factors for us, even though they might not be the scariest movies around. They were some of the first though and the experience was scary enough. One that stands out to both of us is the remake of The Amityville Horror with Ryan Reynolds. Not a particularly amazing movie for any reason, but it was a blockbuster when we were about 13-14 and we were scared.

Another one from that time in our lives is The Grudge. This was, in fact, my very first horror movie in the theater. I went with my mom and was scared more than I had ever been in my life. I remember my mom kept telling me that it wasn't real, but I think she was trying to convince herself just as much as she was me. To this day, that is the one and only scary movie that gave me nightmares. Weirdly, it wasn't the girl that scared me, but the little boy that meowed. I kept imagining him crouched in a corner staring at me. It gives me the heebie jeebies even now. Sarah and I have rewatched the movie a few times and still find it pretty terrifying despite all the people who think it is lousy. I can't even put my hair in front of my face and breathe heavily without our friend Hillary freaking out.


Section 6: The Use of Technology

As cell phones became an everyday item, you would think that terrifying situations would be harder to come by, but we have found the the incorporation of technology into scary movies sometimes can make an even scarier experience. In Section 1 about the Paranormal movies from our first post, I mentioned that I liked the aspect of security cameras used in Paranormal 2. On Netflix recently, Sarah and I watched a movie called The Den. It used webcams to spy on victims and was a thrilling movie. This movie led us to watch the movie Unfriended, which ended up also being a winner. That entire movie is shot as if you were looking at the screen of the main character's computer. The effect was enthralling. We would definitely recommend either of them to any scary movie buffs.


We watch way too many scary movies, so stay tuned for Part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment