Monday, May 18, 2015

Why I Am Worth Something

After four months of searching for a job and numerous rejection letters, it's so easy for me to fall into this mindset that I'm not good enough. But I've accomplished many things and I want to remind myself of my worth. Maybe these employers don't see it, but if I don't see it myself, no one ever will. 

1. I graduated from the University of Nebraska last week. That in itself is a big milestone. I have a college degree. I completed 161 credit hours. I made the dean's list several times and ended up with a 3.75. That's not bad.

2. I completed an honors thesis. At UNL, I think an average of 70% of honors students don't complete the program and I completed it with a pretty awesome thesis about how young people give feedback to one another. I'm very proud of this.

3. I studied abroad. This was a goal I had since I was 18 years old and I made it happen. Would I be much more financially secure if I hadn't? Yes. Do I regret it at all? No. I followed through and made it happen and traveled on my own across the ocean and it is one of the things I am most proud of in my life. 

4. I have maintained this blog for three years now. I know that a lot of my posts are like this one and don't have much depth, but I have kept it up and am able to write regularly because of it. I saw today that my blog has been viewed almost 5,000 times since I created it.

5. I've had some really cool jobs. Although I haven't worked anything stable for a long time, I was a tour guide for 3 years, which was amazing. I met people from all across the country and got to walk around campus all the time and get kids excited about being a Husker. I have also judged speech meets for five years now, which is seriously the best job because speech is the best activity ever. 

6. I read like a madwoman and I'm proud of that. I read 55 books last year and am up to 25 already this year. 

7. I've been to 34 U.S. States. I know this is just because I have awesome parents that took me on lots of trips, but still like to brag about that whenever I can.

8. I'm never afraid to continue learning and growing. I know that I've made a lot of mistakes over the past few years, but I'm willing to learn from these mistakes. I'm always trying to be better and I know I will continue to accomplish what I set out to do. 

So, there it is. I'm worth something. I know I am. And I'm going to get a job. I just have to be patient...and remain confident. 

No comments:

Post a Comment