Monday, March 30, 2015

Wedding Season is Here Again

This weekend started another spring season of wedding bliss. For me, this means dressing up, stuffing my face with cake, and sometimes dancing very badly. I can't believe it's almost been a year since Dani's and Ashley's weddings and I have four more this year. I was talking to a friend the other day who had only been invited to only one wedding in her life. I think being from a small town creates more wedding opportunities, plus I have a rather large family so I've been to quite a few. Here are some things I've learned:


1. Just because someone has a wedding registry does not mean they are easy to buy for. Sometimes a couple only wants things that are hundreds of dollars and buying anything else makes you seem cheap. Sometimes they put things like one mixing bowl or a laundry hamper on their registry, which you can assume they'll use but it makes for a pretty stupid present. Sometimes nothing they want is in the store you are at. A lot of the time, most of the registry items are for the bride and friends/family of the groom can't find a present that will really be appreciated by the one they want to appreciate it. But those who don't have a registry give no clues at all and this can be just as bad.

2. Every dance floor is different and it sometimes takes a while to understand the atmosphere. I've been to weddings where no one dances and, if you do, you feel 100 eyes staring at you and I've been to ones where there is no room on the dance floor and everyone is amazing dancers so you're not sure how to keep up. The rule here is just stop worrying about everyone else (except maybe the bride and groom) and enjoy yourself. I'm a terrible dancer, but the best wedding receptions I've been to have involved me making a fool of myself.

3. Wedding attire is tough unless you are part of the wedding and the dress is chosen for you. I love dresses but one dress does not cover all weddings. Some are black tie affairs and others very casual. Finding common ground it difficult. I tend to believe going on the dressy side is safer, but less comfortable usually. The one thing I always say is have shoes easy to slip off or comfortable. It's usually a long night.

4. Someone is going to cry. Every wedding I've ever been to involved tears at some point or another. I am a huge crier, but not a wedding crier. Why is this so emotional? Be happy and celebrate!

5. I hate bouquet tosses. Everyone points out I'm single, makes me walk in front of everyone and pretend I'm dying to carry around some flowers for the rest of the night. I don't want to get married anytime soon. I don't need flowers. Give it to the pretty little girls in dresses. That makes for the best show.

6. You can tell a lot about a couple by their wedding ceremony. These services vary greatly. Some are lengthy and some very short. Music is a big part of some and nonexistent in others. Couples that write their own vows are different than ones you can only whisper an "I do." When two people are nervous in front of a crowd, they often show their true colors too. Watch their faces and how they look at each other. It's often the sweetest part of a wedding.

7. Wedding food is the bomb. I am so excited to keep eating. Haha.


P.S. Congratulations to my Uncle Steve and new aunt Diana on their wedding this past weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment