Tuesday, April 29, 2014

An Itch for Poetry

Wrote this a while back and realized I never shared it. Enjoy.


I run you across my palm,
tracing the grooves
of an incomplete star.
You resist with a scripscripscrip.
but it doesn’t hurt. Those cells
are dead anyway.
Just like you.

It’s funny how the other
fingernails have been torn, bent, and
chewed without you.  Is it because
I forget you are there on the end of my hand
or because you are determined to live?
To be named “the little fingernail that grew”?

I should really cut you off
before I catch you on my belt loop
or stab someone with a friendly handshake.
Instead I rub you back and forth over my incisor.
It feels like a seesaw inside my mouth;
a steady back and forth.

I feel sleepy and suddenly remember
my mother.
How her long fingernails would graze
through the waves in my hair
while my head rested on her lap.
Will you run through the strands of
a child’s hair? Or sport Husker red
for a football game? Will you scoop up
an innocent drop of butter cream frosting?
Or will I cut your off tonight…with one single

Click.

No comments:

Post a Comment