Saturday, December 15, 2012

Destressing Over Break

Do you ever sit or lie down for 10 minutes and do nothing but take deep breaths? If you answered no, don't worry...neither do I. I have found this simple exercise to be much more difficult than imagined. I am a person who is easily stressed. I have been known to pop my fingers, chew the inside of my lip, pull my hair, pick at my fingers, clench my teeth, or rub my palms together, all habits caused by anxiety. Recently, I have been going to the chiropractor because of constant back problems and every time I go in, he tells me my back muscles are in knots. I get stressed and my whole body has to suffer for it. Something he suggested was the exercise above. Taking time out of every day to breathe. That was a month ago. I still haven't done it once.

I did try, believe me. I closed the door to my bedroom and turned relaxing music on. I sat on my bed and closed my eyes and starting taking long, deep breaths. Two minutes later, I found myself considering what time I needed to get up in the morning and if I should study more for an upcoming test, having completely forgotten my breathing. Other attempts ended the same. One time I even got distracted by the paint color of my wall. I have no attention span. I have no idea how I even sit through class.

Now I am home for the semester. Every assignment is turned in and there is no more classes to worry about. Today I looked up information about deep breathing. Did you know it not only relaxes muscles, but also lowers blood pressure, increases endorphins, and releases toxins from your body? And it only takes 10 minutes a day. I just need to find my inner determination I guess. I have 3 weeks in Franklin. I have time. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment