Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The Big, Bad Monster In My Life

When I was a kid, I watched countless shows and movies filled with villains being defeated by the protagonist. Strangely enough, those circumstances have never presented themselves in my real, adult life. There's no evil villains in gigantic space ships trying to take over the world. I haven't encountered any evil witches. No giant, green monsters. Obviously, there is a lot of terrible things happening in the world. However, I have found the the monster I have to battle in every "episode" of my life is actually one I create.

Just like as a kid, I actually reviewed this life lesson through the plot of a cartoon. I'm a regular viewer of the show Bob's Burgers. On Sunday evenings, it begins my week with a laugh. However, the season premiere this year seemed like less of a window and more of a mirror. In the episode, the title character starts with a pretty ordinary problem. He can't find the key to his safe. His daughter needs her birth certificate inside of it. But on his quest to find the key, he lets this problem snowball. He starts beating himself up about being so unorganized. He calls himself a bad father. As he sifts through junk, he starts believing this mess means he is lazy and unmotivated and worthless. He begins to dwell on a lot of questions starting with "Why didn't I...?" 

So lost in the failings of his past, Bob can't move forward in his mission. He loses faith and energy and falls asleep. In his dream, he has become very small. The trash becomes a literal monster, towering over him. As he fights the monster, a friend keeps trying to convince him that he isn't worthless, but with every compliment, Bob shoots it down. "I'm not really that good of a cook." "I am not that creative." It isn't until he changes his mindset and starts acknowledging his accomplishments and his talents that he is able to defeat the monster. With each positive affirmation, he grew. 

Man, did that resonate with me. I have had many times in my life when I've created monsters of negativity. I make one mistake, like forgetting my ID, and start piling on every mistake I've ever made. I use any mishap as validation of my inadequacy. Like Bob, I need to change the response. I need to move forward and not look back at things that can't be changed. I need to feed myself and not that monster. By taking time in every situation to purposefully exude positivity and encouragement, I can become the superhero of my childhood fantasies. If I can defeat my own monster, I can defeat anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment