Saturday, April 18, 2020

Finding a Path to Love Yourself

Lately, I've had a hard time liking anything about myself. I look in the mirror in the morning and I immediately start picking apart my features; hating my skin, battling my hair, admonishing myself for not eating better or working out more. I go to bed at night, irritated with myself for not accomplishing anything. I lie there thinking about what I could do to be "better."

I understand that this social distancing is intensifying the problem. During the school year, I am able to create a lesson that makes me feel accomplished. I am able to feel good about myself as a teacher/hard worker/advocate for kids. I like myself in that role. I doubt my worth without it.

So I hike.

Friends and family members keep up with my hikes on social media and seem to think I'm good at it. I am not. I let everyone pass me. I have to stop and wheeze. I don't think I'm getting any better with practice. But each time I set foot on a new path, I have a mission in front of me. It's not a competition. I don't care about times or distances. I care about battling my self-doubt and making it to the top. When I make it to the top, I feel instantly good about myself.

Today, when I finished my hike, I looked in the rearview mirror of my car. I was covered in dirt and sweat. Neither my weight or my skin had improved in the slightest since my examination this morning. Regardless, I felt more beautiful. I felt strong. I liked myself. Even though I just walked a trail that thousands of others have walked before me, as I lie in bed tonight, I feel accomplished.

I hope all of you are able to find your own mountain to conquer during these disorienting times. I have seen some people that have planted some impressive gardens. Some of you have finished a book for the first time in years. Maybe your day was just spent cleaning your kitchen and that makes you feel great. It isn't the merits of the action that count. It could be as simple as putting one foot in front of the other like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment