Sunday, February 24, 2019

Oscar Predictions for Tonight!

I have been stalling on this post all day. The honest truth is, I don't have a clear favorite in absolutely any category for the Oscars tonight. I saw a lot of good movies. I didn't see any that blew me away. There are always years like that. But I wanted to throw my predictions out anyway. Here they are for every category:

Adapted Screenplay:
Who Will Win--BlacKkKlansman (it's a compelling true story that relates to current events)
My Favorite--The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (This is a screwball movie on Netflix, but it perfectly captured the feeling I have when I read short stories. I liked the format.)

Original Screenplay:
Who Will Win--Green Book (his son wrote this about his father--that's a special thing)
My Favorite--Green Book

Visual Effects:
Who Will Win--First Man (this is the most critically acclaimed of the nominees)
My Favorite--Avengers: Infinity War

Sound Editing:
Who Will Win--Bohemian Rhapsody
My Favorite--The Quiet Place (so unique!)

Sound Mixing:
Who Will Win-- Bohemian Rhapsody
My Favorite--A Star is Born

Production Design:
Who Will Win--Roma
My Favorite--Roma (He recreated his childhood home with props from his family. It was so believably 1970s Mexico.)

Original Song:
Who Will Win--Shallow from A Star is Born
My Favorite--All the Stars from Black Panther

Original Score:
Who Will Win--Mary Poppins Returns
My Favorite--Black Panther (I just thought the music made the movie special.)

Makeup and Hairstyling:
Who Will Win--Vice
My Favorite--Vice

Foreign Language Film:
Who Will Win--Roma
My Favorite--Roma (It is on Netflix. Beautifully made. Very possibly will win Best Picture, but is guaranteed this category.)

Film Editing:
Who Will Win--Bohemian Rhapsody
My Favorite--Green Book (Honestly, I don't really understand this category haha).

Live Action Short:
Who Will Win--Skin (It is the only American-made movie and hits on current ideas about race.)
My Favorite--Fauve (This was the only nominee I cried at this year.)

Animated Short:
Who Will Win--Bao (More people saw it since it was aired before Incredibles 2 and it was quality)
My Favorite--Weekends (Something about this stood out to me. It felt honest.)

Documentary Short:
Who Will Win--Period. End of Sentence. (This is the only one I've heard buzz about. I actually missed watching any of the documentaries, long or short, this year.)

Documentary Feature:
Who Will Win--Free Solo

Directing:
Who Will Win--Alfonso Cuaron for Roma
My Favorite--Alfonso Cuaron

Costume Design:
Who Will Win-- The Favourite (Sandy Powell is the BEST costume designer in the industry. Period. She is nominated for both this and Mary Poppins Returns (she did both projects at the same exact time--incredible!) but is more likely to win for The Favourite.
My Favorite--The Favourite (The costumes were the best part of that movie in my opinion.)

Cinematography:
Who Will Win--Roma
My Favourite--Roma

Animated Feature:
Who Will Win--Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse
My Favorite-Spider-Man (unique animation and a good story)

Supporting Actress:
Who Will Win--Regina King for If Beale Street Could Talk
My Favorite--Emma Stone for The Favourite (I couldn't find Beale Street in theaters so unfortunately haven't seen that yet, so Regina will probably be my favorite based on the reviews I've heard, but Emma was my favorite performance of the others.)

Leading Actress:
Who Will Win--Glenn Close for The Wife (based on age and number of previous nominations)
My Favorite--Olivia Coleman for The Favourite (based on her comedic timing and priceless expressions)

Supporting Actor:
Who Will Win--Mahershala Ali for Green Book (although he won last year...the Academy loves him, for good reason)
My Favorite--Mahershala Ali (that man can act!)

Leading Actor:
Who Will Win--Rami Malek for Bohemian Rhapsody (He has won all awards so far and did really capture Freddie Mercury, no small accomplishment)
My Favorite--Bradley Cooper for A Star is Born (He impressed the hell out of me and even Rami couldn't outdo him in my opinion. Plus, I think Cooper was screwed out of the Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook in 2013).

And...drumroll please....

Best Picture:
Who Will Win--Green Book (It is between this and Roma, but I'm going to lock it in with Green Book)
My Favorite--Black Panther (It won't win based on genre, but it is the one I enjoyed the most of all of them. I will only be disappointed if Vice or BlacKkKlansman wins. Those were my least favorites...so they probably will win. That's usually how it works haha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment