Monday, November 2, 2015

When Did Trailers Become Entire Movies?

Movie trailers used to spark an interest. It would be 30 seconds of mystery with a few glimpses of an actor or actress you knew and you'd have to see the movie to find out the rest. The last time I went to a movie, I asked a friend to go. She asked me "What's it about?" And I was able to tell her the entire plot line without ever having seen the movie. Why were we even going to see it?

Trailers have started to become 3 whole minutes, the length of short films. The worst part about this trend is sometimes the trailers are better than the movies. A few weeks ago, my roommate and I saw the most recent Paranormal Activity movie and this is the second one in a row that had scenes in the trailer that weren't even in the movie (good scenes I might add!). Trailers now give away big reveals before the movie even starts and, in comedies, the biggest laughs become only chuckles because you've heard it 20 times on TV before going to the theater.

This is my rant of the day. I'm just sick of this trend. Leave some mystery in. Make me want to know more. In the words of my roommate, "Is that something that people really want?" Maybe it is. Maybe we can't take a gamble on a movie anymore. I'm guilty of looking up ratings beforehand instead of just judging for myself. Or maybe we aren't patient enough to wait for the movie. I'm not sure. But I want it to stop. Come on, Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment