Monday, July 6, 2015

Things You Learn When Working at a Restaurant

Over the past few weeks, I have been training to be a server at Red Lobster. I've been serving guests, carrying trays, refilling drinks, and ringing in orders. It's a busy job, but it makes the hours go fast. I have worked as a hostess at a restaurant before, so I knew what to expect from the restaurant environment, but being a server is a lot different. You interact with people a lot more. And I've learned a lot in just a few weeks, not only about serving, but also about myself.

1. I am not good at small talk. This is something that is expected as a server. As a tour guide on campus, you would think I'd be better at this, but when I don't have questions such as "Where do you go to school?" and "What do you think you'll major in?", I'm at a complete loss of where to start. I just want to get their food order and leave. To be fair, as a customer I also hate small talk, so I personally would love myself as a server although I know I'm in the minority there.

2. My boss told me today that I am easily off-set by customers. Basically, what she meant was that when a customer is rude or unhappy, it's hard for me to maintain my own positive attitude. It's not that I get angry or upset with the guests. I am just hard on myself and want to make everyone happy all the time. You have to always be in a good mood as a server though, so I am practicing my positivity no matter what.

3. On that positivity note, I evidently have a great smile. So many people have told me that at work, so at least I have that going for me. Thank you to my orthodontist.

4. This is the only place in the world that I am really clean. If I'm not waiting on guests, you can always find me with a broom or rag in my hand. I just like to be doing something at all times. Waiting in the kitchen makes me feel like I'm not doing my job.

5. I know it's not your birthday. Especially when you just told me 10 minutes ago that you weren't doing anything special today. Tip to all: Red Lobster gives free desserts (not just a scoop of ice cream, but whatever you want on the menu) to you if it's your birthday so everyone lies.

6. Helping co-workers out helps you in the long run. I cleaned up a few tables last week for a girl that was much busier than me and she ended up making drinks for me the next day when I was busy. I love the teamwork at this place.

7. I love the older people that come to the restaurant as regulars. They are the sweetest and always act like everything you do for them is important.


No comments:

Post a Comment