Wednesday, February 20, 2013

How to Measure Success

I think there's a lot of pressure on people my age to be "successful." But what does that even mean? What is success in life? Professors and advisers make it seem like a status thing; your career will define your success. Sorority and fraternities act as if it's the number of your friends. Television's weight loss victory stories tell us it's our waist size. Parents and grandparents advise us that it's the ones we marry or the children we raise. You know what I think? I think we define our own success.

People don't all use the same scale. We each have our own ruler. Or yard stick. Or tape measure. Every example I listed above is success on someone's measuring stick. And no measurement is wrong, because success isn't something we do for other people. We do it for ourselves. Striving for success gives our lives meaning in some way.

So here's what I decided are the three criteria of MY success:
1. I will Learn as much a I can. This is not measured by grades or paychecks, only knowledge.
2. I will Love with all my heart. This is not measured in friends or boyfriends. I'd just rather love than hate.
3. I will Laugh whenever I can. I can't imagine a better success than happiness.

So what is your success??

“The good news is that the moment you decide that what you know is more important than what you have been taught to believe, you will have shifted gears in your quest for abundance. Success comes from within, not from without.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment